Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

I filed bankrucpty and received my Discharge in 2009. I have

I filed bankrucpty and received my Discharge in 2009. I have a car loan that I am still paying, but I do not want to keep the car. it appears on my credit as discharged and i am making payment to the discharge department. Can i have them pick the car up and not be held responsible for the remaining balance?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer,

So sorry to hear of this dilemma. If my answer is not clear to you, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

Yes it appears that you may stop making payments in your car loan and have the lender take the car without further liability

The chapter 7 bankruptcy would have discharged your personal liability on the vehicle

Please use the REPLY button if you have any questions concerning my answer. Otherwise please click ACCEPT so that I am paid by the site for answering.