cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
14232603

You repliedThursday, October 06, 2011 10 13 AM CST here is

You repliedThursday, October 06, 2011 10:13 AM CST
here is the after math... I was able to talk to him the next day and he said he will take care of it. I called him last wed to see if he has mailed the new filing case and check, he said he did. and it is from plano to plano the same city. I called them Friday to the lady at court and she said no mail.. and again everyday of this week.

the lady said there is no way he mailed bc certified mail only take no more than 2 days to get to if in the same city. and also she said it is mandatary to file eastern court via online filing..

and last time when they did receive his mail filing they called him twice and left messages bc they want to give him a login and passwd so he could upload the scanned info to the now dismissed case.. but he never returned the call.

so I contacted him the next day and he called me bck and said ok he will file online and that was tuesday and he said he will contact betty the court lady to make sure all the detail steps.

so I give him 2 days, and yesterday before 4PM I called betty just to get the latest news from her, she said no mail from him and he never called looking to talk to her,

so this morning my parents went to his office, and there were his secretary and an intern boy.

the boy said my lawyer will be here this morning and they are not that busy, and he has a lot of time on his hand if lawyer does need help. then he called my lawyer and the answer was "I will be in court" my parents knew he was lying bc then he kept calling the intern...

then both her and him went into a conf room and closed the door and when they came back, kevan called and asked to speak to my parents and my parents explained their point and said if u are really busy which we understand, my daughter can come and work for u for free to scan and upload this and get this filed.

my dad said there are family illness so he has to be out of town next week and he really want this to be filed asap and nnot wait for close to oct 31st.

my lawyer said he will either by friday or today and by monday he will have the case # XXXXX us.

my question is: is this normal for a lawyer to do this to his client? what would be a good reason for him to delay if he is not that busy?

will he end up not filing all the informaiton online to get back to us? even though we were begging him and not threaten him in anyway.?

at this late stage it is not like i can really fire him and find another one if the case is accepted and there is a hearing. how much can I really rely on a lawyer's professionalism?

even my parents say is it possible he was bought out by the debitor (this is a case 727 against the guy that owed my parents # XXXXX he filed for chapter 7 but he has money we know he just being a fraud and transfered all the money to his kids....)
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 3 years ago.
Hi JACustomer,
It is never too late to fire one's attorney. However, it is suggested that you call the Texas Bar Association to ask for a recommendation for a Bankruptcy attorney to discuss your options before firing him. The number is 800-204-2222.

I think this is what you wanted to know. If not, please let me know.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

but if the deadline is oct 31st to file 727 it can not be a good timing to fire anyone do you not agree?

I did call and got 3 names, and when I called them just vm and still no reply yet, I found another guy on avvo and supposely has a great review and I emailed him and no reply.

I wonder if all lawyers are that way?

Procrastination seem to be a common problem among attorneys, but it is not acceptable when it means a client loses out because of the procrastination. This is one of the main reasons for clients' filing malpractice lawsuits.

If the deadline is October 31, that is enough time to hire someone else.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the issue I also have is my dad will be out of country next wed and he has to go

and for me to be able to go to find someone and interview them via free consultation will also take time and once he is back it would be nov 20th. and if then we have a hearing, then that is too late

so if procrastination is common, and after my parents visit to him today and he promised to file online monday and actually did it

my other question is: is it possible he tried to get back to us bc we bothered him and begged him to do it sooner?

I am sorry, but I can't tell you what was in your attorney's mind when he did the things he did and didn't do.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
when I called the 800 number, she said there is no category for bankrupcy lawyers that represent creditors... they did gave me 2 places and 2 of the person work for the same firm so far no responds yet
That is because most experienced Bankruptcy attorneys can represent both debtors and creditors.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok ty

I checked the rating online in avvo and lawyer.com and the rating is 1.4 out of 5

I think the hardest part is what if we picked one and it is worse then others....

I never felt this helpless

That is why I recommended that you call the Texas Bar Association.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did call texas bar association and they gave me 3 person's name

and when I google them and look for ratings not high, 1.4 out of 5 or 5 out of 10

Call back and ask for different names, since the ones they gave you were not good.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just called back and they gave me 3 more and I called them and none of them handle them, so I asked them but how come ur name is XXXXX XXXXX the tex bar?
My name is XXXXX XXXXX with the Texas Bar Association. It must be someone else with a similar name.
cfortunato, Attorney
Experience: Bankruptcy professor.