Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I filed bankruptcy then inherited money before the meeting

I filed bankruptcy then inherited money before the meeting of the creditors is there a loophole that I can avoid turning this money over to pay the unsecured debt of the bankruptcy?

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Bankruptcy litigation attorney here to assist you.

In a Chapter 7 case, if you receive an inheritance within 180 days of filing for bankruptcy, that inheritance becomes the property of the bankruptcy estate. If this occurs, you are required to inform the trustee of this income/inheritance. The bankruptcy law calculates the 180 days from the date of death of the person granting the inheritance.