Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

What should I expect when I meet with the Bankruptcy Judge,

What should I expect when I meet with the Bankruptcy Judge, does the meeting vary a lot depending on what Judge I get?
Are you filing a chapter 7 bankruptcy and referring to the 341 First Meeting of Creditors?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yep Chapter 7, and yes, the initial meeting with the bankruptcy Judge or Trustee.
Welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for your information. If my answer is not clear to you, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

At your 341 hearing you will meet with the trustee appointed for your case. The entire meeting typically lasts less than 5 minutes. The trustee will swear you in and then typically asks the next 4 questions:
  • name
  • address
  • did you list all your creditors and all your assets?
  • are your schedules true and correct?
After that the trustee will typically ask a few questions concerning the petition such as:
what happened to cause you to file bankruptcy?
when did you last use your credit cards?
how did you arrive at the value of a particular asset?

The trustee will ask if there are any creditors who would like to ask you questions. The trustee will then inform you if you need any other paperwork

Please use the REPLY button if you have any questions concerning my answer. Otherwise please click ACCEPT so that I am paid by the site for answering.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Will the IRS send someone out?
Yes usually. Typically the IRS agent will make it appearance but not ask questions at the 341 hearing.