cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.

Can you let me know your thoughts on the following My clearance

Can you let me know your thoughts on the following?

My clearance (TS) is currently in active state.

I'm going through a divorce (legally separated, but MD requires a year before finalized.).

My Ex dumped bills (mainly house) on me. Since I'm paying Alimony/Child support, I can not afford to pay house mortgage any longer (and haven't paid for six months).

The house has been for sale for a year, it has been on short sale for six months. I tried to do Deed in Lieu (bank just not interested in doing anything).

I'm currently on track for foreclosure (could be soon or a year from now). I'm planning to do a chapter 7 or 13.

With that info (please let me know if you need more), do you foresee I would have issue with my clearance moving to current? Is there a way to verify some way?

I'm planning to move to a position that will require a TS (but, if it is likely my clearance will be pulled, I don't want to waste anyone's time).
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 5 years ago.
Hi JACustomer,
Does the clearance you are referring to apply to your job?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes, security clearance to work a job. I don't currently need the clearance for my current job, but I plan to change jobs and the clearance will be needed (if I'm still able to hold one with my current financial status and future pending status).

Filing a Bankruptcy will not affect your clearance status, as the Bankrutpcy Code forbids employers to treat a current employee or job applicant differently because they filed a Bankruptcy. Bankruptcy Stat. 525.

Changing your clearance status because of a Bankruptcy filing would be treating you differently because of your Bankruptcy.

I think this is what you wanted to know. If not, please let me know.
Thank you!