Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

We have asked our attorney numerous times to show us the means

We have asked our attorney numerous times to show us the means test numbers that he used to determine our chapter 13 payment to the trustee, he has refused to do so.
Is this something that we are not allowed to view?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

Question: We have asked our attorney numerous times to show us the means test numbers that he used to determine our chapter 13 payment to the trustee, he has refused to do so.

Response: No. You are allowed to see the numbers. Infact, the attorney cannot file the plan with the Court without your signature. If the attorney is refusing to provide you with the information, you can easily get the information from the Court, at the Clerk's office or online with PACER, which stands for Public Access to Electronic Records. You have to register first in order to use PACER:

http://www.pacer.gov/
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When we signed the petition the only number that was on it was the dollar.amount to the trustee the rest of it was blank.

Response: The attorney has a legal obligation to give you the complete document after it has been completed. I do not understand why the attorney is refusing to provide you with the information, after all, it is your plan. In any event, this information is easily accessible. Also, you may contact the Chapter 13 Trustee's office and request for the information.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank u, we believe that there may be some improprieties in his office. That is why we are seeking a new attorney.