Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

I am in New Jersey. I have been named as a creditor in a chapter

I am in New Jersey. I have been named as a creditor in a chapter 13 bankruptcy case. I have reviewed the debtor's Voluntary Petition and I am aware that he lied about being employed. I also am aware that he failed to list a joint bank account that he has with his cousin that has a substantial amount of money in it.

I am aware that he lied about employment because I was his partner in the business that he says he is receiving income from. This business was dissolved about 3 weeks prior to date of the petition.

I am aware of the bank account because he told me about it, but he most likely forgot that he did.

How do I make the trustee aware of this? Can I contact the trustee directly, or can I ask pertinent questions at the creditor's meeting?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer,

So sorry to hear of this dilemma. If my answer is not clear to you, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

You may want to contact the trustee directly as well as question the debtor at the creditors meeting.

Typically it is best to contact the trustee prior to the 341 creditors meeting. The trustee may then choose to do some investigation prior to the 341.

Regardless of whether you are able to speak with the trustee, you may question the debtor at the 341 concerning the joint bank account as well as the income.

Please use the REPLY button if you have any questions concerning my answer. Otherwise please click ACCEPT so that I am paid by the site for answering.