Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

Hello, please explain can I make a financial claim to the

Hello, please explain: can I make a financial claim to the Company after it officially has stated its bankruptcy?
Thank you.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer,

So sorry to hear of this dilemma. If my answer is not clear to you, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

The automatic stay of the bankruptcy court prohibits any action against the debtor outside of the bankruptcy court. Once a bankruptcy has been filed all collection action must cease.

Once a bankruptcy is filed, the automatic stay of the bankruptcy court is in effect Bankruptcy Code regarding the automatic stay. 362 (4)k provides for actual and punitive damages for the willful disregard of the automatic stay.

Therefore in order to make a claim against the bankrupt company, you will need to file a proof of claim in the bankruptcy case. Here is the form:

I hope that it helps to know this information

Thank you in advance for remembering to click accept. If you experience difficulty using the accept button, please let me know as JustAnswer pays me for my time only if the "accept" registers.