cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.

I think I need to file bankruptcy. I was issued a summons

Customer Question

I think I need to file bankruptcy. I was issued a summons from creditors last week. Can I do anything about that? Also, my dad died in March and I have some questions regarding money he left that I have not received and am a signer on my Mom's checking account.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

I am an attorney with 25+ years of legal experience and am working diligently on your answer while I await your response.

What is your specific question

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't know whether it would be wise to file or better to try to work with my creditors. First of all the summons, what options do I have?
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.
I am going to open your question to the other experts. Please do not respond as a response will direct the question to me and delay your answer
Expert:  cfortunato replied 5 years ago.
Hi JACustomer,
I can help you with your Bankruptcy Law questions, but not with your Estate Law questions regarding your inheritance (we have an Estate Law section where you can ask questions regarding your inheritance).
Is this okay?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Will creditors work with me at this point or has it gone too far?

It is never too late to try to work with creditors. If you go to court, you should be able to negotiate your debt (usually 40-60 % of what is owed) with the attorney representing your creditor(s), and arrange for a payment plan.