Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

What usually happens at the creditors meeting Will they

What usually happens at the creditor's meeting? Will they ask me or my lawyer detailed questions, or will they just ask me my name, address or other identity information?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

Question: What usually happens at the creditor's meeting? Will they ask me or my lawyer detailed questions, or will they just ask me my name, address or other identity information?

Response: You would be sworn it. The Trustee would ask you very brief questions regarding your debts. Any of your creditors who show up would also be able to ask you questions regarding your debts to them. Your attorney is not asked any questions but, may speak occasionally to clarify any information for the Trustee or the creditors. The examination generally last for few minutes in most cases and it is recorded.

You would have to bring a picture ID and your Social Security Card for verification of your Identity. If you have misplaced your card, you can get statement from Social Security Administration as to your card and its replacement. That letter, which contains your Social Security Number, would be used instead. Also, you may bring letters from taxing authorities such as IRS containing your Social Security Number instead.

The best way to prepare for the Section 341 Meeting is to review your bankruptcy papers that have been filed with the Court.

Here are links to sample Section 341 Meeting questions:

http://www.bankruptcylawfirms.com/resources/bankruptcy/chapter-7/expect-meeting-creditors.htm

http://www.doney.net/client/ch7_trustee_341_questions.htm