Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
15345323

Do I need to include my moms social security income in the

Customer Question

Do I need to include my mom's social security income in the mean's test and in schedule I? She lives with me but doesn't contribute financially to our household. I pay for her food, clothing, supplemental insurance, etc.... Thanks.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 5 years ago.

Terry L. :

Hi, thanks for your question. You should hire a lawyer for specific legal advice. No attorney client relationship is created here.

Terry L. :

You would list all household income on schedule I and the means test. you can list mom's expenses on schedule J to show what the true net household income is. for the means test, social security is listed, but doesn't count towards the total, so they are not added into the calculation, just listed for informational purposes only.

Terry L. :

Do you have any other questions Customer?

Terry L. :

Let me know if you have any other questions. Thank you and good luck.

Customer :

Are you sure that it's included in the means test?

Terry L. :

It is listed on the last page, but it isn't calculated into the figures.

Terry L. :

if you are preparing them yourself, you don't have to list it

Terry L. :

my software let's me list it, but categorizes it as social secuirty act income, which doesn't go into the calcs

Terry L. :

If you have any other questions, let me know. you don't need to list the social security income on the means test, just list it on I, and mom's expenses on J.

Terry L. :

Thanks for your question, good luck.