Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.

I received a summons regarding a debt that is owed what should

Customer Question

I received a summons regarding a debt that is owed what should I do.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 5 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. You should hire a lawyer for specific legal advice. No attorney client relationship is created here.

A bankruptcy filing will stop the suit once you file the case. Otherwise, the creditor will continue to judgment, then look to garnish your wages and/or seize your bank account to collect on the debt.

You should talk to a local bankruptcy attorney to review a bankruptcy case. Otherwise, you can try to negotiate with the creditors lawyer to see if you can get into a repayment plan if you are not considering bankruptcy.

Thanks for your question, good luck.