How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 16559
Experience:  Licensed and Experienced Attorney
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am involved in a lawsuit with a former employer with respect

Resolved Question:

I am involved in a lawsuit with a former employer with respect to a non compete clause..if damages are awarded against me, can I file for bankruptcy to eliminate the damages?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  replied 5 years ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

As long as you are insolvent at the time that the judgment against you is awarded and you want to declare a chapter 7 bankruptcy, you would be able to discharge this judgment as unsecured debt, as long as no fraud or conversion is being alleged as a cause of this civil action against you.

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate if you would click on the accept button.
Please keep in mind if you already made a deposit or on a monthly subscription plan you will not incur any additional charges, but I will only be compensated for my time and effort only if you click on ACCEPT.

Bonus and positive feedback are always greatly appreciated!
Alex J. Esq. and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have no debt..Also my wife has inheritance in her name in her bank this also safe from any judgement in terms of damages? Would the chapter 7 filing also get us out of a lease on a house(last 10 months) if I move to another state for another job?