Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed and Experienced Attorney
26296561

I am involved in a lawsuit with a former employer with respect

I am involved in a lawsuit with a former employer with respect to a non compete clause..if damages are awarded against me, can I file for bankruptcy to eliminate the damages?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  replied 5 years ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

As long as you are insolvent at the time that the judgment against you is awarded and you want to declare a chapter 7 bankruptcy, you would be able to discharge this judgment as unsecured debt, as long as no fraud or conversion is being alleged as a cause of this civil action against you.

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate if you would click on the accept button.
Please keep in mind if you already made a deposit or on a monthly subscription plan you will not incur any additional charges, but I will only be compensated for my time and effort only if you click on ACCEPT.

Bonus and positive feedback are always greatly appreciated!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have no debt..Also my wife has inheritance in her name in her bank account..is this also safe from any judgement in terms of damages? Would the chapter 7 filing also get us out of a lease on a house(last 10 months) if I move to another state for another job?