cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.

with Chapter 13 bankruptcy, do I have to only stop the garnishing

with Chapter 13 bankruptcy, do I have to only stop the garnishing of ex husband's wages during the proceedings- while the Trustee is putting the "5 year plan " together ... Is there ever a time/circumstnce when I can start up the garnishing again? after 5 years - if he does not follow the "Bankruptcy Trustees plan"
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 5 years ago.

Hi JACustomer,

The garnishment has to stop for the entire time the Bankruptcy is in progress, which is up to 5 years. Your payment will henceforth come from the Bankruptcy trustee, out of the Chapter 13 payment that he must make each month.

If he misses one payment - and does not immediately make it up - the Bankruptcy case will be dismissed, and you can then resume the garnishment.

I think this is what you wanted to know. If not, please let me know.
Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The Trustee has answered me in writing - explaining NYS can continue to garnish child support through the proceedings.. Arrears will be paid thru her and the plan
NYS can continue to garnish. You cannot. You asked if you had stop garnishing your ex-husband's wages.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just asked a few more questions in a diferent pop up window- hope you get those