Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Filed bacnkruptcy over seven years ago and at the time the

Filed bacnkruptcy over seven years ago and at the time the law was you could not file again for another 7 sears. law since changed to 10 years. does the new law apply or am i grandfathered in and can apply after the seven years?

own a house with someone who filed a chapter 13 years ago and the house was mentioned but was able to keep. They are not paying the mortgage and therefore hurting my credit. Can I go for bankruptcy and actually claim the house so i can get my credit back on track or is it protected from their chapter 13?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

Question: Filed bacnkruptcy over seven years ago and at the time the law was you could not file again for another 7 sears. law since changed to 10 years. does the new law apply or am i grandfathered in and can apply after the seven years?

Response 1: The new law is eight years not 10 years. No, you cannot be grandfathered. See 11 U.S.C. Sections 109(g); 349(a), and 1328(f).

Response 2: Yes, you can, but I fail to see how filing for bankruptcy would get your "credit back on track." Bankruptcy stays on your record for 10 years.