socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

What statute says you do not have to pay for debt that is marked

What statute says you do not have to pay for debt that is marked as disputed?
There is no such statute. A debt that is disputed as to actual liability must be liquidated by the court. Typically, a creditor notified of a debtor's bankruptcy would file a proof of claim, the debtor would object -- and the court would determine the actual liability.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!