socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)

I have a contractor that owes me money. It has been filed with

I have a contractor that owes me money. It has been filed with the courts that this contractor owes me money. I filed a law suit and now I hear that the contractor filed bankrupsy a year after it was filed that he owed me money. The attorney that is representing the contractor was not notified that he was filing bankrupsy and the contractor never notified me as a creditor so I was not notified. The contractor was not honest with the bankruptsy court. What should I expect to see happen?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.
What Chapter bankruptcy did the contractor file (Ch. 7, 11, or 13)?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am not sure, Sorry would that matter?
Yes, it matters a great deal. The outcomes are quite different depending upon how the debtor files bankruptcy.

Contact the court clerk, give him/her the contractor's name and find out the bankruptcy chapter. Then, come on back and we can discuss it further.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!