Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  Provide General Practice advice to my clients in my practice.
18572087

I have a lien on an automobile where the Debtor has filed for Bankrupt

I have a lien on an automobile where the Debtor has filed for Bankruptcy protection under Chapter 7. I received a 'Notice of Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Case'. Is there anything I need to file with the trustee?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

You generally should file a petition to exclude the debt from discharge, if you are going to fight the bankruptcy petition. If you do not see the point in fighting, and you do not see success in contesting the petition, there is nothing further you need to file with the trustee pertaining to the lien.

GOod luck.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have received the Form B9A and it states "Please do not file a proof of claim unless you receive a notice to do so." Does this mean I have to wait for a different notice?
Thank you for your follow-up. My apologies on the delay, I was unable to respond due to a technical glitch.

To respond to your question, yes, Form B9A is merely the form that places you on notice of the bankruptcy and grants the other party an automatic 30 day stay during which time you as a creditor cannot pursue the debtor for what is owed.

Good luck.