How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JoeLawyer Your Own Question
JoeLawyer, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 767
Experience:  Attorney in the practice of Bankruptcy Law since 1996
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
JoeLawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My friend Bill and his mother(age 78) live in Maryland and

Resolved Question:

My friend Bill and his mother(age 78) live in Maryland and have large credit card debt around $75,000. All the credit cards are in mother's name she gets social security of under $500.00 only and has $30,000 in the bank She is not interested in how it affects her ability to borrow money or get other credit cards she plan to go to a senior housing for low income seniors in a year or so. She owns a small home valued at approx. $135,000 it is titled as tenants in common with mother and his younger brother who lives in his own home in MD. My friend Bill is on social security disability since late 1980's and uses her address for most mail SSDI and Medicare claims and udpates. He lives with friends from time to time but his legal address is her home.
She does not have enought money to do a chapter 13 due to her low income. If she transfers her interest in the house to my friend in the next week and leaves current son on deed (meaning both son's on deed) take her name off and just stops paying her credit card bills will they come after the house. Do you advise paying credit cards for a few months? Is there a rule that the transfer must take place year or so before. Also since my friend is on SSDI is there any protection or safeguard. I know it varies from state to state, since my brother is living in Mass and my mother just went to a nursing home and needs longterm care, all her assets went to him. What's the rule in MD? Do we need to do a Quit Claim taking mother's name off property and a No Consideration Inter-Family Deed and name Bill and his brother - do you have any forms and resource for forms? Jane
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  JoeLawyer replied 5 years ago.
Maryland does have a fraudulent transfer statute, called the Maryland Uniform Fraudulent Conveyance Act (MD. CODE ANN., Commercial Law, Section 15-201, et. seq. (1975).

§15–204 says that "Every conveyance made and every obligation incurred by a person who is or will be rendered insolvent by it is fraudulent as to creditors without regard to his actual intent, if the conveyance is made or the obligation is incurred without a fair consideration."

So, if the transfer renders the person transferring the asset insolvent, then the transfer is deemed fraudulent and can be overturned by a court.

Also, §15–205 says that "Every conveyance made without fair consideration when the person who makes it is engaged or is about to engage in a business or transaction for which the property remaining in his hands after the conveyance is an unreasonably small capital, is fraudulent as to creditors and other persons who become creditors during the continuance of the business or transaction without regard to his actual intent."

So, if the person receiving the transfer of property does not pay a fair amount to the person transferring the property, then the transfer may be deemed fraudulent as to the creditors of the person making the transfer.

A good website outlining Maryland fraudulent transfer law is here:

I think you should consult with an Estate planning attorney who can see if transferring the assets into a trust might shield them (though my guess is this will be difficult at this point).

If that doesn't work, a Chapter 13 repayment may be the best option.


LEGAL NOTICE: I am only licensed to practice law in certain state(s) and I cannot give legal advice to someone who does not reside in a state in which I am licensed, nor shall anything I say in the above answer or elsewhere on this site be deemed legal advice, even to someone who resides in a state in which I am licensed. Fees I receive for answering questions are paid for information, not for legal advice. This forum is designed to provide general information only, and information herein is not warranted to be correct or applicable in any way since laws may have been misinterpreted herein, since laws change from time to time, and since the impact of those laws on any particular situation varies. The information presented in this site shall not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of an attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this response are encouraged to seek independent legal counsel in their jurisdiction for guidance regarding their individual circumstances. Do not take any action or inaction based on information presented herein since it is informational and may not be accurate or applicable to you; it merely attempts to give you a basis of knowledge to help you formulate questions to ask a legal or other professional in a face-to-face meeting in your jurisdiction. JoeLawyer is an attorney but does not hold himself out to be a specialist or expert in any area, regardless of assertions made by any third party, and any implication of being an expert or specialist herein is made in error. I hope the information presented above is useful to you. Answer above is (c) JoeLawyer. All rights reserved.
JoeLawyer and 2 other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you