TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA

in the process of filing bankruptcy, we neglected to add a

in the process of filing bankruptcy, we neglected to add a couple of utility companies, that serviced our home for Electric. The bankruptcy was discharged as a no asset discharge. Are they still able to come after us or do we have to file an addendum to our bankruptcy
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

Please note that for legal reasons my answers are only intended to be general/educational information rather than specific legal advice. If you need specific legal advice, then you must consult with a local attorney in your jurisdiction.

Generally speaking, you can move the court to reopen the bankruptcy for the purpose of adding the creditors. Since it was a no-asset case, it is unlikely that the creditors were prejudiced by failing to include them and, therefore, the court will likely grant the motion.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then feel free to let me know, as I will be happy to clarify my answer or help with your follow-up questions. In the meantime, please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time (doing so does not end our discussion). Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Thank you and good luck!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is this just a procedure by filing a petition or is there actual paperwork requests that need to be completed
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Hi again.

I'm not sure what you mean by "actual paperwork requests," but in order to reopen a bankruptcy, a debtor must file a motion requesting that the bankruptcy be reopened. If the court grants the motion, then you can file amended schedules. You should visit the local bankruptcy court to see if the clerk has forms for reopening, as that would be easier than drafting your own.

I hope that helps. Please remember to click "accept."