How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask cfortunato Your Own Question

cfortunato, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 8023
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
cfortunato is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am the defendant - an individual mortgagee - property in

Customer Question

I am the defendant - an individual mortgagee - property in South Florida. The mortgagor filed BK chp 13 on 6-7-11. Has not paid mortgage pmts for June July or August. BK plan seeks to lower the remaining mortgage term from 307 months down to 60 mos - pmts from $576.96 to $522.11 Interest rate from 8.25% to 5.25%. Cram down value to $27,500. Mortgage balance as of 5-30-2011 was $73,388.53. I am not in agreement with the plan since it will severely affect my monthly income and ability to pay my bills. I would like to take the property back. The mortgage note says that pmt is due on the first and default is on the 15th day and I can proceed with foreclosure. In addition mortgagor has not paid taxes for 2010 or insurance which violates the mortgage. Please help!! The debtor actually has a monthly income greater than mine!
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 4 years ago.

Hi JACustomer,
1) Does this debtor have 2 mortgages on this property?

2) Have you already received the date for the confirmation hearing?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Just one mtg - The property is used as a rental. He has a primary residence which is also in Chp 13 -

He also has 2 lots in Texas which he is surrendering - no other real estate

Creditor meeting 8-22-2011

Confirmation is 10-12-2011

He has been picking up the rent and I have not received any pmts? Grounds for dismissal?

If needed - I have access to all the documets filed.

Expert:  cfortunato replied 4 years ago.

You can object to the plan. You do not have to accept a cram-down because yours is not a second mortgage. Cram-downs are only available when there are 2 mortgages on a property, and only when the current market value of the property is less than the balance on the first mortgage. This is an absolute rule, and there are no exceptions, and it does not matter what type of property is involved.

Accordingly, since this person is in default, after you object to the plan, you can file a motion asking the Bankruptcy court for relief from the automatic stay, after which you can proceed to foreclose.


I think this is what you wanted to know. If not, please let me know.

Thank you!



Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the mortgage balance is $73,388.53 - Value according to debtor attorney is $27,500 therefore he is classifying the difference $45,888 as unsecured and unpaid

Bankruptcy Court - Southern District

Expert:  cfortunato replied 4 years ago.

It is true that part of the mortgage is unsecured. And it is true that he can have the mortgage discharged in the Bankruptcy, so that he will no longer be liable to pay it.

But he cannot have the lien "stripped" (removed). Because of this lien - which is not being satisfied - you can foreclose the property if he is not paying the full amount of the mortgage.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I dont understand? if the judge oks the bk at the confirmation hearing and does not allow my objection or lift the stay- dosen't it mean that I have accepted his plan?
Expert:  cfortunato replied 4 years ago.
I will opt out of this question so that someone else can help you further.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Pertinent to Bankruptcy Court Florida Southern District
Expert:  cfortunato replied 4 years ago.
The plan cannot be confirmed if you - a partially secured creditor - do not approve the plan. Additionally, there is no reason to believe that the stay will not be lifted.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
the property is classified as investment property and can be crammed down - I went to the meeting of creditors and the trustee did not allow me not to accept the plan. I need to make a motion for relief from stay and need advice with regards to how to word it
Expert:  cfortunato replied 3 years ago.

You should be able to get the necessary forms and instructions from the clerk at the Bankruptcy court.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Terry L.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Better Business Bur 15yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar
< Last | Next >
  • Terry L.'s Avatar

    Terry L.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Better Business Bur 15yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar
  • cortrightlaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney practicing Bankruptcy Law including Chapter 7, Chapter 11, Chapter 12, and Chapter 13.
  • JoeLawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney in the practice of Bankruptcy Law since 1996
  • Brent Blanchard's Avatar

    Brent Blanchard

    Bankruptcy Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Twelve years experience in all aspects of debtor & creditor BK.
  • A.J.'s Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced consumer bankruptcy attorney.
  • Fritz's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Florida attorney with extensive experience in Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 consumer bankruptcy cases
  • Law Girl's Avatar

    Law Girl


    Satisfied Customers:

    I am an attorney.