cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
14232603

I am 67 years old and I have gotten in dept with many credit

I am 67 years old and I have gotten in dept with many credit cards, because I was taking
care of my 89 year old father for 3 years, I have used all of my 401k savings and now I
just live on my social security and and a small pension, about $2000.00 per month. I am
thinking of taking out bankruptsy a chapter 7. I cannot keep up with my bills. I understand
I have to take a class for credit counseling before I can apply. Is that true? Meanwhile
I will be getting farther behind in my bills. What can I do? I've always taken care of my
bills I feel bad I have to do this. I have good credit, I just have alot out there.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 5 years ago.
Hi JACustomer,
You do have to take a Credit Counseling Course before you file a Bankruptcy. However, this course is a very simple one, and takes no more than approximately one hour total. It can be taken online, by telephone, or by mail. However, since the certificate you receive after taking the class expires after 6 months, you should wait until you know for sure you are going to file before taking the class.
This company has the best prices that I have seen for the class: www.cfefa.org.

I think this is what you wanted to know. If not, please let me know.
Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have totaled approximatly about how much I owe, $ 15,2430.05 and I only bring in

$2000.00 per month, there are other bills I owe but are small amounts that I can pay and a car payment that I can pay. Do you think I have a chance at a chapter 7 ?

If I take a class ? Will I be able to talk with you again, for this price, or will I pay

again?

Yes - with a gross household income of $2,000, you can file a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy. (The maximum allowable gross income is closer to a little over $4,000 per month.)
It doesn't matter how much debt you have, as there is no debt limit in a Chapter 7.
When you are ready to file, you should call the Utah Bar Association to ask for a recommendation for a Bankruptcy attorney. The number is 801-531-8077.
Yes - you can continue to ask more questions about this topic without having to pay again.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you. XXXXX need to ask more questions, do I just go into this site and put my name

in and will my account come up?

If your question is on this same topic, you can ask the question(s) the same way you just now send this "Reply".

You can either save these correspondences, or enter your name and password XXXXX the home page of this website.

If you have any trouble with either of these, you can contact Customer Service at: info@justanswer.com. The Customer Service team is very good and very responsive.