cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.

Good Morning!. My name is XXXXX XXXXX overseas supporting

Good Morning!.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX overseas supporting out troops over here. Last year I had the misfortune in having to file for divorce in Missouri where I live. Recently my estranged wife sent me a message telling me that if we are still married at the beginning of August, she would add my name to her bankruptcy. This is the first I've heard of her doing this. I've tried diligently to search out the answer to my question...can you answer this question for me: Can she add my name to her bankruptcy and drag me through it? We have no debt together...she own her own home...I own my home...and both homes were purchased before marriage.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 5 years ago.
Hi JACustomer,
Your wife cannot file a Bankrutpcy for both of you without your approval. This is because anyone who files must sign their name on the 3rd page of the petition. No one - including your wife - is allowed to sign your name.
If you do not sign your name to the petition, the Bankruptcy court will not process the Bankruptcy for you.

I think this is what you wanted to know. If not, please let me know.
Thank you.