socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)

Thank you, Socrateaser. I am at risk whether or not I redeem

Thank you, Socrateaser. I am at risk whether or not I redeem the property. In what way? Not just a lien on the property? My BK attorney said in Calif I would not be liable and there were two other properties foreclosed and sold that I have not been contacted about. Please advise.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.
Your risk, unless I misunderstand, is that the property could be foreclosed. Failure to maintain the tax payments and HOA fees is almost certainly a default under the original loan agreement, and although you cannot be sued to collect that debt, the lender could use your failure to pay the assessments are grounds to foreclose.

The lender can't reach you personally for any unpaid deficiency -- but, it can take the property -- which is why I say you are "at risk."

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!