cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
14232603

can i claim bankrupcy if i owe $20000.00 jn the state of minnesota

Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 5 years ago.
Hi JACustomer,
Are you asking about a Chapter 7 or a Chapter 13 Bankruptcy?
If a Chapter 7, what is the size of your household, and what is your gross household monthly income?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i dont know the differance between the two, iam by myself my kids are grown and my monthly income is $1200.00 iam a waitress so that changes. I do have a morgage on my home that i owe $35000.00 on so the total would be $55000.00

With a Chapter 7 debts can be discharged without having to pay anything. If a debtor makes too much money, that debtor cannot file a Chapter 7, but they might be able to file a Chapter 13, where the debtor has to make payments every month for up to 5 years.

Given the information you provided, you do qualify to file a Chapter 7, as your income is low enough, and there are no limitations on the amount of debt you can have (there is only a limit for a Chapter 13).

I think this is what you wanted to know. If not, please let me know.
Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
can i still keep my house
What is the current market value of your home?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
$45000.00
Since you home has only $10,000 equity (far less than the applicable $360,000 homestead exemption), you will be able to keep your house if you continue to pay the mortgage.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so i cant include the morgage in the bankrupcy and is it worth doing this if i owe about $20000.00 not including the morgage
Around $20,000 is a typical amount of unsecured debt that debtors have discharged in a Bankruptcy. However, you have to decide if it is worthwhile for you, considering the fact that you will have to pay around $1500 to file, and the fact that if you are only paying the minimums on every month, the interest can add up to be far more than $20,000.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so i cant include the morgage in the bankrupcy?
You
You can include the mortgage, which means your liability to pay the mortgage will be discharged. This just means if you stop paying, the mortgage company cannot get a judgment against you, but if you stop paying, the mortgage company can foreclose.