cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
14232603

How long do you have to be out of your house after filing chapter

How long do you have to be out of your house after filing chapter 7 bankruptcy? How long before you are able to get a loan after filing chapter 7 bankruptcy? How much does filing Chapter 7 bankruptcy cost?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 5 years ago.

Hi JACustomer,

Are you asking about Bankruptcy rules regarding getting a loan after filing a Bankruptcy, or are you asking how long one generally has to wait before a lender will issue a loan to someone who has recently filed a Bankruptcy?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
asking how long one generally has to wait before a lender will issue a loan to someone who has recently filed a Bankruptcy?

1) If the mortgage is not being paid, filing a Bankruptcy will only postpone a foreclosure proceeding. A Bankruptcy has no other effect on a foreclosure. That means that someone who files a Bankruptcy has to leave their home at the same time as someone who is not paying the mortgage but does not file a Bankruptcy. Either way, the homeowner does not have to leave the home until the house sells at a foreclosure sale. This can take as little as 6 months after defaulting on the mortgage (plus up to a 6-month postponement for a Bankruptcy) and it can easily take years.

2) Lenders will generally lend money to a Bankruptcy filer in approximately one year after a Bankruptcy is filed. The reason is they know a Bankruptcy filer must wait 8 years before filing another Bankruptcy.

3) The filing fee for a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy is $299. If the filer makes less than a certain amount, the fee can be waived.

I think this is what you wanted to know. If not, please let me know.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
where do you file for a chapter 7 bankruptcy for that price?
Thank you for accepting my answer!
$299 is the filing fee for all Bankruptcy courts.
If you want an attorney to file the Bankruptcy for you, most attorneys charge around $1,200.