Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

If I filed bankruptcy in December of 2003 and need to file

If I filed bankruptcy in December of 2003 and need to file again, due to unseen economy problems, health issues, death in the family, family problems, a bad mortgage & last years Furlough days. What can I do to stop the garnishment that is being taking out of my check that will cause me to loose my house over a credit card debt.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

So sorry to hear of this dilemma. If my answer is not clear to you, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

Filing a bankruptcy petition will immediately stop the garnishment

A person can file Chapter 7 again if it has been more than 8 years since he or she filed the previous Chapter 7 bankruptcy or 6 years since the filing of a Chapter 13.

A debtor can refile a Chapter 13 at anytime.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so if the credit card company garnishes my check how much can the garnish up to per pay period or is it once a month. And would it be better to let them garnish my check and in December then file for a chapter 7. Because if I do a chapter 13 won't all the creditor I owe be able to be paid under the chapter 13.
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.
In Washington 25% of the paycheck may be garnished