Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by West
6704987

MY BANKRUPTCY ATTORNEY TOLD ME NOT WORRY ABOUT MY STRUCTURED

MY BANKRUPTCY ATTORNEY TOLD ME NOT WORRY ABOUT MY STRUCTURED SETTLEMENT WHICH PAYS FOR MY HEALTH INSURANCE WHICH IS , APPROXIMATELY, $1400 A MONTH.
I ,SPECIFICALLY, AKSED MY ATTORNEY IS MY STRUCTURED SETTLEMENT SAFE. HE SAID BECAUSE I DON'T OWN IT AND CAN'T CASH IT IN FOR ONE LARGE SUM I DON'T HAVE TO WORRY. HE ALSO SAID ' IF THIS STARTS TO GO SOUTH, WE'LL DISMISS THE BANKRUPTCY.' I FIGURED I WAS SAFE HOWEVER A CREDITOR OBJECTED TO THE STRUCTURED SETTLEMENT MOTION EXEMPTION AND WROTE AN EXTENSIVE BRIEF. THE JUDGE RULED IN THE CREDITOR'S FAVOR. I AM ON DISABILITY AND NEED THAT STRUCTURED SETTLEMENT TO PAY FOR MY INSURANCE PREMIUM. I WOULD HAVE NEVER PUT MY STRUCTURED SETTLEMENT IN THE "line of fire" IF MY ATTORNEY HAD COUNCELED ME EFFECTIVELY, WHAT DO I DO?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Roger replied 3 years ago.
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Bankruptcy litigation attorney here to assist you.

Any time you file bankruptcy, there is no guarantee that you can dismiss the case because creditors have a right to object to a dismissal because doing so effects their interest.

You are going to have to get a plan that the creditors and trustee is agreeable with in order to have this approved where you can access your money to pay your expenses.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
DID YOU GET MY LAST REPLY?
Expert:  Roger replied 3 years ago.
No, I didn't. Please re-type it here.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
WHAT I WROTE IS IF THE ATTORNEY DID NOT WARN ME ABOUT MY EXPOSURE TO LOSING MY STRUCTURED SETTLEMENT BUT SAID AND I QUOTE--I WAS A CALIFORNIA COURT REPORTER ANS REMEMBER WORDS AND PHRASES WELL--"if this thing looks like its going south, we'll dismiss the bankrputcy." that is why I went ahead. do I have a cause of action against my attorney for , in fact, telling me "NOT TO WORRY ABOUT THIS SETTLEMENT. YOU DON'T OWN IT AND YOU CAN CASH IT IN LIKE OTHER SETTLEMENTS"? THE REAL CRUX OF THIS MATTER IS WHY WOULD A 59-YEAR OLD WOMAN PUT HER HEALTH INSURANCE ON THE LINE UNLESS SHE WAS TOLD IT WILL BE "SAFE" BY HER ATTORNEY AND LOOSE HER ABILITY TO PAY FOR IT BECAUSE I AM ALREADY DISABLED FROM A VERY SERIOUS AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT AND NEED THE MONTHLY KNEE INJECTIONS TO WALK. I AM NOT ON SDI NOR MEDICARE JUST MY DISABILITY POLICY FROM COURT REPORTING WHICH HAS NO COST OF LIVING PROVISION.
Expert:  Roger replied 3 years ago.
If the attorney misled you or advised you incorrectly, you may have a claim for legal malpractice. I would recommend that you contact a local legal malpractice attorney and discuss filing a complaint.

At this point, tour options are limited, but that's probably the best approach.
Roger, Attorney
Experience: BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by West