Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

im doing a modification on my home, but i need to file bankrupcy

Customer Question

im doing a modification on my home, but i need to file bankrupcy on a couple of credit cards, but i cant afford a lawyer, is there somone that could help me
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

So sorry to hear of this dilemma. If my answer is not clear to you, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

You will want to complete your modification prior to filing for bankruptcy. Once you file bankruptcy, the modification process will immediately stop. The automatic stay of the bankruptcy court will prohibit the modification absent bankruptcy court approval. Therefore it is best to complete the modification prior to filing bankruptcy.

Is not necessary for a person to file bankruptcy prior to a lawsuit being filed on a credit card.

Please let me know if you have any questions concerning my answer.