Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

I filwed for a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy a few months ago. I am

I filwed for a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy a few months ago. I am increasingly suspicious of the quality of legal care I am recieving. The first issue was that the attorney took over a month to file my petition, depsite my repeated urgency, and only filed an abbreviated petition after my utilities were cut off. The second invloves his refusal to list all of my creditors on the initial petition. He insisted on doing the ones on my credit report only at first and then later charging me to add the others despite having a complete list all along. He further insisted on only listing my income and not the household income. This was another red flag the trustee mentioned and insisted be corrected. At the 341 meeting, I was chastised by the trustee for not listing debt amounts next to the addtional creditors despite being told be my attorney to do so. Also, the trustee gave us two weeks to producse addtional documents and amend the schedules which he has not done. Finally, we agreed to a redemption dollar amount on a vehicle and he wants an extra $500 to handle the order preparation. Am I wrong to have issue with this performance and what steps should I take ?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

So sorry to hear of this dilemma. If my answer is not clear to you, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

I do agree with you. All creditors, the amounts of the debts and all household income should have been listed properly on your petition. Most attorneys will charge a small additional fee to negotiate a redemption however $500 is high. You may consider retaining a new attorney to file your amended schedules and handle the redemption. Your new attorney may ask the court to order your current attorney to disgorge his attorneys fees- this means ask the court to require your current attorney to refund your attorneys fees.