Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

My 90 year old aunt was admitted to a skilled nursing facility

My 90 year old aunt was admitted to a skilled nursing facility following a short hospital stay. She needs full nursing care and has become a long time resident at this facility. She is expected to began with Medicaid. I understand that Medicaid will take her small pension and much of the proceeds of the sale her home which will be sold soon. I have durable power of attorney for her. She has quite a few bills from abused credit cards which have yet to be paid off. They total thousands of dollars.I am also her niece and have been working to pay off these bills from her limited funds. If they take her pension and any assets she may have, how will be these bills be paid. I am a 74 yr senior myself and I cannot help her financially. What can be done?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

So sorry to hear of this dilemma. If my answer is not clear to you, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

You not be liable for your aunt's debt unless you cosigned the debt. If your aunt does not have the assets to pay the debt, eventually the creditors will write off the debt as not collectible
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have been paying her bills since January from her checking account. OK, I know I am not liable. Do I just ignore the bills and the requests for payment ?
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.
Yes. You can simply ignore the bills