Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

If I file chapter 7 bankrupcy on the 5th of the month can I

Customer Question

If I file chapter 7 bankrupcy on the 5th of the month can I include my July rental payment on my list of creditors and will I have to move if I pay August rent
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

So sorry to hear of this dilemma. If my answer is not clear to you, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

You can include the July rental payment in your chapter 7 bankruptcy. However you would still be liable for the rent that accrues after you file the petition. So therefore if you filed on the 5th of the month, you would still remain liable for the balance of the month and the landlord could petition the court for eviction despite the fact that you are willing to pay August rent