Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

We filed chapter 7 bankruptcy on October 2, 2010. It was discharged

We filed chapter 7 bankruptcy on October 2, 2010. It was discharged January 12, 2011. A mortgage on a house was discharged in the bankruptcy. We do not live in the house now and did not live in the house for about 6 months prior to filing. We paid the utilites until the meeting of creditors in November. We were informed that the trustee had no interest in the property at that time. We then notified the City of Tacoma public utlity to discontinue utlity service at the house. They sent us a final bill which we paid. Now several months later I receive a phone call from the utlity stating they have mail being returned and want me to call them. I call and find they have a bill for "storm water assesments" against the home they are billing me for. I explain that the house went with the bankruptcy. They say they bill the owner on record with the county. I checked on line at the Pierce County auditors and see that we are still listed as the owner of the property. The bank or someone has been paying the taxes as they are up to date.

My quesiton is this... Am I responsible for the "storm water assesment" since the realestate mortgage was discharged in bankruptcy? I could understand being responsible for the time up until the discharge but not after. Will I continue to be held responsible for this until the bank sells the property?

So sorry to hear of this dilemma. If my answer is not clear to you, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

You are not required to pay the storm water assessment.

The storm water assessment will be a lien on the property and typically have priority over the mortgage. Therefore when the property is eventually sold in foreclosure, the storm order assessment will be satisfied
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Does the utlity have any recourse to try to force me to pay? Can they send this to collections against me?
No they cannot