Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My friend is being sued for fraud. If the other side gets

My friend is being sued for fraud. If the other side gets a judgmenbt against him can he declare bankruptcy and get the judgment discharged
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

Question: My friend is being sued for fraud. If the other side gets a judgmenbt against him can he declare bankruptcy and get the judgment discharged

Response: Yes, he can. However, the Judgment would not be discharged in bankruptcy if the Judgment creditor files adversary proceeding--Complaint to Determine Dischargeability of the Judgment and prevails. Otherwise, the debt would be discharged in your bankruptcy once the deadline passes for objections and the creditor fails to object to the dischargeability of the debt. The deadline for objecting to dischargeability of debts is 60 days from the conclusion of the Section 341 Meeting.