Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

In Texas. Currently in a ch 13. My income exceeds the means

In Texas. Currently in a ch 13. My income exceeds the means test for ch 7. Can I switch to a ch 7? thks

So sorry to hear of your dilemma. I will strive to provide you with legal information to assist you. If my answer is not clear to you, I encourage you to ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

In order to convert to a chapter 7 bankruptcy and obtain a discharge, you must pass a means test that compares your family income with the median income of the family of the same size in your state. If you are at or below the median income, you pass the means test in are eligible to file a chapter 7 bankruptcy. If you are above the median income, you must pass an additional test which compares your disposable income and unsecured debts.

Please let me know if you have any questions concerning my answer.