cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.

When you are in bankruptcy, I think it is Chapter 13, can a

When you are in bankruptcy, I think it is Chapter 13, can a debtor not claimed in your bankruptcy charge you interest on what you owe them? We were in bankruptcy for three years, pay back kind, and now a CPA we used in 2003 has added $1100 in interest on a $300 bill. She charged us $25 a month for three years.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 5 years ago.
Hi JACustomer,
Since the creditor was not listed in your Chapter 13 Bankruptcy, that debt was not discharged in the Bankruptcy. This means that creditor does have the right to add interest to the bill.
However, since the bill is more than 6 years old, it is too late for the CPA to collect the bill, because of the Statute of Limitations (SOL), which is 6 years in Washington.
However, the 6 years is measured from your last payment. This means if you do pay anything now to the CPA, the SOL will start to run all over again.

I think this is what you wanted to know. If not, please let me know.
Thank you!