How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask cfortunato Your Own Question
cfortunato, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 8023
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
cfortunato is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Massachusetts. My ex-husband has filed for bankruptcy.

Resolved Question:

I live in Massachusetts. My ex-husband has filed for bankruptcy. I attended the meeting for creditors. You have 60 days from that date to challenge dischargeability of certian debts. I am owed $100,000 by my ex-husband as part of our divorce decree which he has never paid me. Part of that is a second mortgage which he was responsible for paying as part of the decree but defaulted on and I was forced to refinance to pay. All I want to know is if I need to file something or if this claim is protected even in bankruptcy.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 5 years ago.
Hi JACustomer,
Did your ex-husband file a Chapter 7 or a Chapter 13 Bankruptcy?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Chapter 7
Expert:  cfortunato replied 5 years ago.

The type of debt you described - owed to you pursuant to a divorce decree - is clearly not dischargable in a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy. Bankruptcy Stat. 523(a)(15).

There is nothing further that you have to do for the debt to be non-dischargable.


I think this is what you wanted to know. If not, please let me know.
Thank you!


cfortunato and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Bankruptcy Law Questions