Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

My father bought a vehicle 3 years ago at a bankruptcy auction.

Customer Question

My father bought a vehicle 3 years ago at a bankruptcy auction. At the auction this story was explained... There was a divorce settlement where the husband got the car for three years then the wife would get the car for three years. The husband filed for bankrupcty so the car went to auction. The auction explained to my father that they have never seen anything like this before and that he might hear from the wife and have to give up the car in three years. I bought the car off my dad a couple years ago. He never signed a contract about returning the car. Will this car be taken from me or can I fight for it?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

I am an attorney with 25+ years of legal experience and am working diligently on your answer while I await your response.

Please tell me:
What legal action has she taken?
Is the car registered in your name or your father's name?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The car was registered in my father's name, however a couple months ago I turned it into my name. I do not think any, she contacted my dad yesterday and asked for the vehicle and he said i sold it to my daughter. She said it is her vehicle and she will review the papers and contact a lawyer if needed.
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your information. I will strive to provide you with legal information to assist you. If my answer is not clear to you, I encourage you to ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

The woman's lawyer will likely explain to her that a trustee in bankruptcy has the authority to convey property including a vehicle. The trustee may avoid any liens or claims on that vehicle prior to sale. You may want to contact the bankruptcy trustee for documentation concerning the sale if any legal action is taken.

Please let me know if you have any questions concerning my answer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Sorry, does this meant he vehicle is technically hers and she can take it from me?

Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.
No. It means the vehicle appears to belong to you. It does not appear that the woman has any claim to the vehicle