TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA

I am about $ 30,000 in dept, from medical and credit card debt.

I am about $ 30,000 in dept, from medical and credit card debt. Right now I'm on unemployment benefits. I feel bankruptacy is the only way to go. What would you suggest I do to start?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

You should consult with a local bankruptcy attorney if you're ready to file. The attorney will not only file for you, but he will review your entire financial situation and advise whether bankruptcy is indeed the right choice, and which chapter of bankruptcy to file under. You can attempt to file without an attorney, but you are much less likely to be successfully discharged.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then feel free to let me know, as I will be happy to clarify my answer or help with your follow-up questions. In the meantime, please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time (doing so does not end our session). Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Thank you and good luck!