Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years of professional experience

I need to file for bankruptcy. I am about $20,000.00 in debt

I need to file for bankruptcy. I am about $20,000.00 in debt I am disabled homeless and have no assets I am unable to file for Social Security Disability Because when I was Injured I didn't have enough points at the right time. I can't pay these debts and feed my 10 year old.So I am in California now what is the first step?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information. tion&OVMTC=advanced&OVADID=37666520022&OVKWID=164838369522&OVCAMPGID=65625022&OVADGRPID=8264781910&OVNDID=ND1

You can use a service like the one above to file a chapter 7 bankruptcy without a lawyer. Even if you do nothing, they cannot take the following exempt assets from you:

If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers. Rest assured, I will get back to you. In the meantime, you can learn more about me by clicking on my name at the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at or

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated! Also, please know that you can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".