Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Law With An Accounting Degree - 13 + years as civil lawyer
16823287

Looking for an attorney licensed in Florida, more specifically,

Customer Question

Looking for an attorney licensed in Florida, more specifically, Boynton Beach.
Need to determine how to evaluate choosing an attorney. All input welcome.
I expect to hire today.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is Maverick. I very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.

While JA experts cannot represent you or recommend a particular lawyer, I can help you with the parameters of choosing one. What are you trying to have the prospective lawyer do for you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can you please advise what responses I should consider in choosing you or any attorney for this process?
May I contact you shortly, directly?
Obviously, a cost issue is a major factor.

I have a sub s corp that I have been advised to consider this process as well as personally.
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 years ago.

If you are asking about filing bankruptcy, you should look for a local bankruptcy lawyer that has at least 7 years of experience and primarily specializes in BK law. You can use the links below to assist you.

We are not allowed to have direct contact with JA customers.

You may not need to file a BK on the S corp, there's really not much point there unless the name of the corporation has a lot of goodwill.

You can file a personal BK yourself using a link like the one below:

http://usabankruptcyassociates.com/usabk/index.asp?OVRAW =bankruptcy%20preparation%20papers&OVKEY=bankruptcy%20preparation&OVMTC=advanced&OVADID=37666520022&OVKWID=164838369522&OVCAMPGID=65625022&OVADGRPID=8264781910&OVNDID=ND1

If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers. Rest assured, I will get back to you. In the meantime, you can learn more about me by clicking on my name at the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at http://www.attorneysaccess.com/ or http://www.martindale.com/.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated! Also, please know that you can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have reviewed the link, is this your site?
Is this company a law firm or a credit agency?
I do not understand why a sub s corp would not benefit from bankruptcy for survival.
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 years ago.

I have nothing to do with the company at the link. I have heard others say it is a good BK paper preparation site for people who cannot afford lawyers. It should be able to walk you through the whole BK process and prepare the documents that you need to file. There may be others like it that you can google.

If you have an on-going S corp that you think is worth salvaging because of the goodwill associated with its name, then you can file a chapter 11 reorganization for it. This is what large corporations that go bankrupt do so that they can restructure their debts while keeping the name recognition alive. For smaller business, it may be better just to dissolve the corporation and open up a new corporation under a different name.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Presuming that my CPA recommends that I proceed with the sub s chapter 11 filing, is this something that you handle? My biggest concern is in regards to an IRS payroll tax issue.
If it is within your means, how do I contract you?
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 years ago.

Just Answer (JA) experts are not permitted to have outside communications with JA customers. Please know that this site automatically blocks out fax, phone, email, and other such personal information. However, you may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you by going to http://www.martindale.com/ or http://www.lawyers.com/. If you have a specific question that we can assist you with here, please let us know

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
is there any other qualities I need to use for consideration in finding an attorney?
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 years ago.
If the bankruptcy practice has 2-3 lawyers all doing bankruptcy work, that would be better than just 1 lawyer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok, thanks for some input, is it ok if I choose Not satisfied? (bad terminology) to see if I get a different response from other attornies?
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 years ago.
Sure, or you can try to clarify your question as I am not clear on what it is that you are not understanding.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am trying to determine if I must file a bankruptcy for sub s corp & for me personally.
Per your suggestions, in choosing an appropriate attorney to advise I should consider that:
1. The attorney has at least 7 years experience
2. Has at least 3 practitioners in their office that all do bankruptcy work
3. Must be able to provide a telephone conference cal because I am currently not on continental US
4. Must be licensed to practice in US, especially Florida
5. May allow me to lower my costs by using an online BK documentation service
6. Must be able to be affordable for the retainer and total expense
7. Must be able to negotiate with IRS to minimize the existing debt

So far, with these criteria, I contacted 40 attorneys, had 1 telephone conference and 2 others scheduled. So far, I can not afford the costs associated, it would totally exceed the existing debt.

So, my question is, are there any other considerations in evaluating the appropriate bankruptcy attorney?
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 years ago.

Looks like you have about covered it.

Not really sure what you are asking. As with most all things in this country, if you do not have enough funds to hire a lawyer, you have limited legal rights unless you can do it yourself.

I would suggest that you use the BK paper service link that I provided earlier and file a BK yourself for your personal assets and just dissolve the S corp without filing a chapter 11 if the S corp does not have much name recognition value or other value that I am not aware of.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thanks, I appreciate your input, I would like to open this up to others in your field for responses, how do I do that?
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 years ago.
It has been an open question for quite sometime. I have opted out on my end as well. Good luck to you.