WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Experience:  14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS
16356563

Can a small business owner file bankruptcy on an award to an

Can a small business owner file bankruptcy on an award to an employee issued by the Worker's Compensation Appeals board? He has no Worker's Compensation Insurance.

WALLSTREETESQ :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarificati on.

WALLSTREETESQ :

If the corporation that is liable for the award file a bankruptcy the workers comp award would be discharged as well.

WALLSTREETESQ :

There are various forms of security used to prevent injury to employees of self-insured employers from being uncompensated, so in many cases the worker could still be compensated, but not by the employer

Customer:

I don't understand your answer. The small business is an individual dba. Are you saying we have nothing to worry about if the employee is awarded money? Could this be charged off in bankruptcy?

WALLSTREETESQ :

Under a Chapter 7 bankruptcy, workers comp claims are treated the same as wages owed to former employees. The workers comp claims are considered as unsecured creditors against the employer and are not given any priority over creditors.

WALLSTREETESQ :

You would not have to pay the employee

WALLSTREETESQ :

It would be charged off.

WALLSTREETESQ :

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask

WALLSTREETESQ :

If satisfied please press the accept button so we can receive credit.