How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I purchased a rental property subject to an existing loan that

This answer was rated:

I purchased a rental property subject to an existing loan that was in default. I beleive I am legally considered a "non-assuming grantee"m since I did not assume the loan but acquired the property
"subject to" the existing mortgage which is still in the name of the grantor who sold me the property. I filed Chapter 13 to prevent the foreclosure of the property. In my Chapter 13 plan can I force the lender to allow me to cure the existing mortgage default?

So sorry to hear of your difficult situation. If my answer is not clear to you, I encourage you to ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

You are correct that you would be considered a nonassuming grantee. Provided that the transfer of the property to you did not breach the terms of the mortgage, you may use a chapter 13 to reinstate the mortgage default.

Please let me know if you have any questions concerning my answer.
Ellen and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Bankruptcy Law Questions