TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA

Can I file a Chapter 7 and keep my house

Can I file a Chapter 7 and keep my house?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

You can only keep your house in a Chapter 7 if the lender agrees to let you reaffirm the debt, or if the lender allows a "ride-through," which is where the debt is discharged, but the lender does not foreclose if your payments are current. In either case, you have to be able to make your monthly payments. A Chapter 7 is not as helpful in keeping a house as a Chapter 13 because in the latter, the creditor has no choice. In a Chapter 7, the lender does have a choice. Plus, in a Chapter 13, the lender cannot require that arrears be immediately paid, while the lender can do that in a Chapter 7.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then feel free to let me know, as I will be happy to clarify my answer or help with your follow-up questions. In the meantime, please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time (doing so does not end our session). Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Thank you and good luck!