cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.

The US trustee has filed a motion to reopen our 2008 chapter

The US trustee has filed a motion to "reopen" our 2008 chapter 7 to "administer assets" found after discharge of a "no asset" case. There has been no mention so far as to a dismissal, because this was not fraudulent, only a settlement of a case we did not know about at the time. After I turn over the funds, what exactly is the process for "proof of claims? All of our debt was medical bills, credit cards and one new car loan?

Hi JACustomer,

Thank your for requesting me!

The proof of claims process will be the same as it would have been at the beginning - when the case was first filed.

Each creditor that is likely to be paid something will receive a notice from the Bankruptcy court that they should submit a "Proof of Claim" form to the Bankrutpcy court. If all debts were non-priority debts (the ones you listed are), each creditor will be paid in proportion to the debt each is owed.

This is process is something that generally does not involve the debtor.