cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.

I filed for BK Chapter 7 about 2 months ago. I filed pro se,

I filed for BK Chapter 7 about 2 months ago. I filed pro se, unfortunately. I had a trustee hearing today that exposed some errors in judgement that I made. I want to involve an attorney and hope the attorney can correct some things. My question is--can I withdraw my current filing and start over from scratch with an attorney, or do I kind of have to see this case through?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 5 years ago.

Hi JACustomer,

Are there any assets that the trustee will be able to take? (That is, are there any non-exempt assets?)

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is a car that we bought jointly with my son almost 2 years ago that he said he would take-even if we tried to use it as one of our vehicle exemptions. There was also about $2,000 cash in our account at he time of filing and a $4,000 tax return.

Because there are non-exempt assets that the trustee can take, it is unlikely that you will be able to have the case dismissed. However, you can amend (change) any of the forms that were submitted, without dismissing the case. This can be done at any time until the date the case is closed.

I think this is what you wanted to know. If not, please let me know.
Thank you!