Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

i am thinking of filing for bankruptcy, i am on disability

Customer Question

i am thinking of filing for bankruptcy, i am on disability and ssi, i have no other income, i am in debt approx 15 to 20,000.000 and cannot pay all my current and past debts...can you explain what the laws are for filing bankruptcy in south dakota? and which one would be more beneficial to me...i was considering total bankruptcy.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Roger replied 5 years ago.

Hi - my name is Kirk and I'm a Bankruptcy litigation attorney here to assist you.

Bankruptcy law is primarily federal law, so it's pretty much the same process in every state. The biggest difference is property exemptions, which are set by each state. The property exemptions for South Dakota are here:

If you can't make your payments, the only bankruptcy that will help you is a Chapter 7, which is a complete discharge of debts (except student loans, some taxes, child support obligations). Here's a link that explains a Chapter 7: