Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

Once you file bankruptcy or before you file bankruptcy how

Once you file bankruptcy or before you file bankruptcy how long before you can recieve monies before the court takes it to spread it among the creditors. I am going thru a divorce and will need to file bankruptcy, I will receive 1/2 of his 401K and I'm concerned they could take it to pay the creditors.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

So sorry to hear of your difficult situation.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. While I am not your lawyer and do not represent you, I will endeavor to provide you with legal information through this open and nonconfidential forum.

A 401(k) is exempt from the claims of creditors. Provided you do not liquidate the 401(k), it would not be included in your bankruptcy estate
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What do you mean by liquidate?
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.
By liquidate I meant change the form from a 401(k) to a regular bank account
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I would be putting it into a bank account or savings account because I am on Disability and not able to work. So if I liquidate it how many months do I have to wait either before or after the bankruptcy before we liquidate the 401k.
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.
You can liquidate the 401(k) at any time after your bankruptcy is discharged/closed. If you liquidate the 401(k) prior to the bankruptcy, any remaining funds will be lost to the bankruptcy court
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What if I spend the 401K before filing Bankruptcy, I can't file until July and we are holding off until we file bankruptcy. I'd rather file for the divorce now.
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.
If you have spent the 401(k) prior to filing bankruptcy, it would not be an asset on the bankruptcy petition
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can my disability, alimony, or child support be taken to pay creditors?
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

J.A. policy requires that you start a new thread for a new question. Please accept the answer and then you may start your new question in a new thread