Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

If we transfer our stock from a coporation that owns property

If we transfer our stock from a coporation that owns property to our grandchildren, then file for Chapter 13 will the stock/property still be an asset that must go to the creditors?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

So sorry to hear of your difficult situation.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. While I am not your lawyer and do not represent you, I will endeavor to provide you with legal information through this open and nonconfidential forum.

Unfortunately the stock/property would still be required to go to the creditors. Here is why

A quitclaim or transfer of a debtor’s assets to a third party, for less than a reasonably equivalent value in exchange for such transfer, is considered to be a “fraudulent conveyance”.

Bankruptcy Code §548 provides for the avoidance of fraudulent transfers within two years before the bankruptcy filing date. Transfers to self settled trusts and similar devices are subject to a longer avoidance reach back (10 years).
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Are you saying that if we transfer the stock/property and wait two years until we file, that the stock/property cannot be attached by the creditors?
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.
correct