cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.

What is the best alternative. Debt consolidation using a reputable

What is the best alternative. Debt consolidation using a reputable company or filing chapter 7/13? Lost my job about two years ago and my salary is now only 70% of my previous income. Tried a home mod, but the institution turned me down. I need to reduce my debt with the least amount of fallout. thanks

Hi JACustomer,

There is no question that filing a Bankruptcy is preferable to debt consolidation - even if you can find a reputable company. This is because there is relatively little benefit to participating in a debt consolidation, which also has a negative impact on one's credit score.

A Chapter 7 Bankruptcy eliminates unsecured debts without having to pay anything. A Chapter 13 Bankruptcy eliminates the balance of unsecured debts after making monthly payments for 3-5 years. (Chapter 13 works similarly to debt consolidation.)

In addition to the possibility for paying less with a Bankruptcy, filing a Bankruptcy eliminates all unsecured debts. Debt consolidation rarely eliminates all debts, as there is often at least one creditor who will not participate in the program.

I think this is what you wanted to know. If not, please let me know.
Thank you!